Passport Requirements

The United States requires all air travellers to and from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a passport or equivalent travel document, such as a NEXUS card to enter that country and re-enter the United States when returning home. For re-entry into the United States via land, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if travelling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate. Visit for the most up-to-date information on passport requirements.

Take note of reasons for inadmissibility to enter Canada (such as Driving while Impaired convictions) in order to ensure that all your clients are eligible. Please visit Canadian Immigration and Citizenship for information.

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Exceptions include U.S. citizens and foreign nationals with a valid visa.   All travellers must present acceptable travel documents and identification must be presented at the border. 

For further information, visit  Canadian Immigration and Citizenship or call:

Outside Canada: 1 (800) 992-7037
Within Canada: 1 (888) 242-2100

Border Crossing Information for Motorcoach Tours

Providing border crossings with tour information prior to your arrival will help ensure a smoother border crossing. Fax your information at least 24 hours prior to arrival on company letterhead with the following: company name, brief description of visit, date and estimated time of arrival, number of coaches and names, birthdates, passport numbers and country of origin of all passengers.

  • If entering Canada via Interstate 29 at Emerson, Manitoba, fax your information to Canada Border Services at (204) 373-2275.
  • If returning to the U.S. via Highway 75 at Pembina, North Dakota, fax your information to U.S. Customs and Border Protection at (701) 825-5980.